Labels

Friday, August 9, 2013

Got Your Recruits In Their Green Mohair Suits




I have never ridden a camel. As a result I do not feel qualified to express an opinion on their endurance, carrying capacity, or comfort of ride. That is why I do not offer opinions as to such matters.

I certainly would not offer opinions and couch them as facts.

Seems bizarre to me that people who have never sat astride a Corolla feel justified in throwing out their opinions on such matters. The very unfortunate reality is that these horses are so rare that I am afraid that I have ridden more miles on Corollas than anyone alive today. In 2011 alone, I rode one Corolla in the woods, mostly at a trot for more miles than there are between Norfolk and Texas.

That gives me a better handle on such matters than someone who may have seen a picture of one at some point in time.

Townes Van Zandt had it right, "You cannot count the miles until you feel them."

Or, one can inhale deeply of the cloroform of conformity and look to those that Gram Parsons would have seen well in their green mohair suits and seek their guidance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have ridden camels...I can't say as I recommend it. There are long lists of reasons why you son't see more natural camelmanship clinics taught..yuck. Easy to figure out where to put the saddle on a dromedary though.

It does get to me how insinuation and rumor seem to be the accepted modes of making factual data come to light. I have an opinion and everyone is entitled to it. How on earth do we ever make advances in any field?
Only those who go out beyond the streetlights of conformity truly get to count the stars of innovation.

I am pretty sure, of what inspired this post, and it still rankles a bit, but the answer is easy. Go get on a tiny giant horse and prove to the world that these magnificent animals are more than the sum of barn talk, and feed store gossip. Come here, Snow, let's go outrun Pegasus..he is a big wuss. -Lloyd

Vickie Ives said...

Riding Corollas is like Lay's potato chips--can't do it just once. Try it and learn.