Labels

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Encore



Red Feather, the most athletic, and once the most violent, wild horse with whom I ever shared a round pen came home yesterday. He has spent the summer at a large pasture where I keep several horses that are not currently in the riding program.

What do you do for a horse that already has his own post card as he appeared wild and already has a great children's book based on the the exploits of his father and him? Only a handful of people have ever ridden him. All were amazed at his smooth gait, endurance, and raw power.

He is the best illustration of what the carrying power of Colonial Spanish mustangs is. He is about 12.2 and carries a two hundred twenty pound rider as if he had nothing on his back.

We have a long term encore planned for Red Feather.

And do not be surprised if you see another book come out of it.

(Here he is as I caught him yesterday to bring him home.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been positively vibrating to meet this little bundle of dynamite, I have, of course heard the stories, and read the blog posts about him..
I am far from disappointed. This tiny giant is obviously one of the smartest horses I have encountered, and he is built like a block of steel. I am just a bit afraid of him, though I push that back and concentrate on gaining his trust and respect. I suspect that will be a challenge.
Later on, I asked him to join with me, not too gracefully I fear, and accept me as a leader in his herd, and he did with rare good grace. I strongly believe he will be a test. I hope so, I love many, many horses, but those who challenge us, those who are unique, intelligent, wise and strong, it is they who capture the hearts and imagination more than any other.
He will never run on a track, will never enter a show ring, he will never perform for audiences of more than a lucky few, and yet he is a horse of legend, a horse worthy of song, whether a dung campfire of a Mongol herder, or places and times more mundane...The Strawberry Roan, Caballo Diablo, Old Red...

Yes, Red Feather is the real thing. -Lloyd