Labels

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Pain That Never Sleeps




When I was 28 the surgeon told me that my spine looked like an old man's. He did not recommend surgery. Instead he seemed to suggest that I simply had to accept the fact that I was not a kid anymore and would have to live accordingly.

It struck me a moment ago that I am not in any pain. I should be. Yesterday I began a new routine consisting of barefoot running, Tabata Protocol, resistance training and strider shoes. Of course, the major part of my workout is riding, particularly trotting and gaiting.

Too few people understand the health benefits of riding. When I run into people my own age that I have not seen in years I am often amazed at how poorly they move and how unhealthy they seem. If I did not ride my weight would likely be around 275. My joints would ache with each movement. As a result there would be fewer and fewer movements. The spiral would continue until I was essentially a sedentary, near invalid.

Of course, riding does not roll back the calendar. When I fall I am very likely to break a bone. That causes me to be prudent. Some of my riders do not understand this. They equate my prudence with fear. I would have come the same conclusion when I was 22.

Arthritis is not the only thing that comes with age. Sometimes wisdom does too.

No comments: