Labels

Monday, September 5, 2011

Never Too Old To Learn Horsemanship




Got a bit overwhelmed with the number of very little new riders that I now have. With out a doubt it is much harder to teach natural horsemanship to a five year old than to a twelve year old.

But then I remembered that my young teen stars, Jordan, Lydia, Danielle, Sarah Lin, Christian, and Rylee were all very small when they started and each of them has trained a colt or a wild horse and most of them have ridden fifty miles in a day. Sarah Lin was so small that when she put on her rib protectors she looked like a turtle!

Give me five more years and Ainslie will be a very effective trainer. I just hope that by then she will not be too shy to talk to me.

3 comments:

smilin' grey mare said...

Hi Steve, I am a 55 yr old first time horse owner in Pa. Having loved them as long as I can remember but not knowing a whole lot about horses, I consider myself very blessed to have found natural horsemanship and some open minded friends to help me as I develop my relationship with my gelding into a partnership.
I just want to applaud you for the work you're doing .And as far as the very young children....they will NEVER have negative,unfounded demeaning attitudes about horses and horse training to unlearn!!!That's a wonderful thing in my eyes.

Anonymous said...

Steve,
What a great post! Ainsley is my granddaughter and I am thrilled that she is learning from you. I know because of these experiences with the horses and riders, she will be more confident and independent as a young woman. Thanks for all you do!
Julie Hensley

Anonymous said...

That is a majorly cute picture!!
-E.