Labels

Tuesday, January 2, 2024

How to Treat Your Family, Your Friends, Yourself and Your Horse


Several years ago, when thinking about what I should do with the rest of my life, I decided to work hard to study the concept of wisdom and to put the same degree of effort into becoming a good person that I put into taming horses. My first thoughts were to look to those that I considered to be the best people that I knew and to seek to define a good character by looking hard at how they conducted themselves. I have always been perplexed at two things that they all had in common--I never heard any of them speak ill of another person and they could each easily catch crazy dogs that seemed terrified of others. Hounds that could not be touched by others seemed drawn to these three men.

 Whenever I share this with others the response is a nervous laugh--they think that I am joking and that it must be a very weak joke. 

 It is not a joke. It was true in each case--but I did not understand it. But this morning I found this quote: "If you become steadfast in abstentions of thoughts of harm directed towards others, all living creatures will cease to feel enmity in your presence." Patanjali, 200 B.C. 

 Of course, whenever training a horse one must first relax one's mind and body in order for the horse to feel secure in one's presence. But there is a deeper level. A horse cannot love a heart that is filled with hate. Do you want your horse to transition better in his gaits, ease over a jump more gracefully, respect your space? Before spending money on gimmicks to create the appearance of change in your horse, put in the effort make real change in yourself. 

 Don't wait for your horse to improve before you can become a better person. Become a better person right now and watch how much better your horse becomes--all by himself--just like magic. 

 Cutting the hatred, anger, resentment, jealousy, and frustration out of your heart creates that magic.

No comments: