Labels

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Sometime You Just Have To Have Faith And Jump The Log



In the face of understandable pessimism and serious setbacks among mustang preservationists we have our program on the road to substantial expansion.

In three days we obtained a stunning Marsh Tacky mare, the famed Baca stallion, El Rosio, bred Persa to Croatoan for a foal next year, and plan at least one more breeding before the frost comes on us. I anticipate expanding our herd to include one more rare Colonial Spanish horse in the immediate future. I recently got some great news from the doctor who told me that it was alright to go ahead and use my hands and lift and ride hard again.

And we are completely changing our structure. Tom Crockett has offered his expertise in helping non-profits grow and expand. He defines our mission simply, "Saving rare and endangered horses and improving the lives of young people."

I like that. A good phrase to live by and something that would look great on my tombstone if I was going to be buried.

 (I have decided instead to simply be taken to a taxidermist when I die and  made into a full shoulder mount to keep on the wall in the Little House. Perhaps we can put the phrase on a little plaque on the mounting board. Don't worry, specific instructions will be given to the taxidermist to put my false teeth in before I am mounted. Otherwise I might look a little creepy up there. The Deliverance look seems to intimidate the occasional child).


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh no..you are getting a full body mount..perched on a log...We will set you up next to Trigger in the Roy Rogers museum..or something.

An already unique program becomes moreso..I know of no other place in this country that works to preserve rare horses, teaches riding, natural horse care, including natural hoof care, and teaches young people (and allows stubborn old guys like me to learn the hard way.) to gentle and train wild mustangs, and history, archaeology, agriculture, and life.. Oh, what I would not give to have had these opportunities at about age ten. Still, I am thankful that my family is a part of it. as we explained to my mother outlaw when she said that she did not think the program would consume our lives.."Neither did we, but this is the single most important thing that Anne Katherine, and joyah will ever do." And now Gwynne. All of us have fallen, and got back up, well, Mary is getting back up. She was fussing about missing her Holland last night.
My Family has benefitted enormously by being a part of Mill Swamp Indian Horses, and has no intention of being anything but. So can yours! It is not needful for anyone to wrap up their lives out here, but this is the best thing going folks, drag the kids out from in front of the TV and kick em out into the pasture...They will come back dirty and worn out, but happy and fulfilled. There is much healing in a horse. Horses..one horse is great..forty or fifty is much better. Exciting times, The sum of the parts are much more than the whole, and becoming quickly moreso. What we need is some more kids to train all these horses that keep cropping up. Proportion in all things. -Lloyd