Labels

Friday, December 24, 2010

When Not Getting What You Want is The Best Present of All




Years ago was urged to seek the position County Attorney. This is not an elected position. The county attorney advises the county on contracts, hiring practices, and a host of other matters in addition to representing the county in lawsuits. It was not a job for a trial lawyer and in reality I was not well suited for the position. However, I had a great deal of support and was urged to pursue the opportunity.

I did not want the job, but it paid more than double what I made at the time. I really did not care about the other advantages of having a high income, but I was interested in the position so that I could afford to build, of all things, a barn. I had in mind a modern barn design that would include paved floors and two rows of stables.

Of course, with that position I would not have the time to build a riding program and would likely only keep a few horses around for my family. But, I certainly would have a beautiful barn.

I did not get that position. Had I gotten it I would never have built our program, worked to preserve the Corollas, become a writer, clinician, and speaker on mustangs and natural horsemanship. I would not even know my riders and their families. My life would have become a very empty shell if I had gotten that high paying job years ago.

A life devoid of meaning. But I would have had a beautiful barn.

No comments: