Labels

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Kids Do Not Always Say Thank You




And I really do not mind. Kids live in the moment and express themselves in that same moment. "This is the best fun that I have ever had," "I never thought that I would be able to ride a wild horse!," and even,(from a three year old), "This is my favorite land!" are all heartfelt thank you's.

The situation is different with adults and I am glad that it is. Adults tell me exactly what the experience means to them.
"This horse has healed me."
"My time out here have been the best years of my life"
"This has done so much for my family.",
"If only there was somewhere like this when my kids were coming along."
"Sometimes all that I need to do is sit here in the truck and watch the horses for a while to get feeling better."

These sincere, off the cuff comments illustrate something that I never envisioned for our program. It is obvious to me that learning natural horsemanship does wonders for character building and happiness building for kids. It is obvious to me that teaching natural horsemanship does wonders for me. It helps to make my life more than just a matter of running the clock out and often produces feelings akin to satisfaction to the degree that they produce actual happiness.

But it is becoming equally obvious to me that learning natural horsemanship can improve the lives of happy adults and give quality to the lives of those for whom real happiness is an elusive, ephemeral feeling.

And here is the key point--what we do is not brain surgery. Anyone willing to learn to handle horses and kids can do what we do. I have absolutely no training in psychology, psychiatry, or substance abuse treatment. I wish that I did. The world is filled with those who have such knowledge. That professional knowledge, if applied to programs like ours, could spread a lot of light in some very dark worlds.

Equine related emotional therapy is just beginning to get off of the ground. If that therapy is tied to learning natural horsemanship I have no doubt that it will be more successful.

As we have discussed many times, the reason that we practice natural horsemanship is not to make better horses, but to make better people.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

EXACTLY!!! I used to get so fearful between contracts, that the next one might just take longer than I could bear. Then Wild Horses came into my life. Contracts came and went, but the time between didn't seem so fearful. I had horses to tend to and that "good Morning" nicker seemed to allay all fears of just when that contract would come. The horses gave me a reason to get up in the morning and get after it.

I retired a few years ago, sold the horses because of an impending cross country move. Move never happened, and I did OK with out the horses, or so I thought.

A year and a half ago Lori got in touch with me to see I I could find her a Sulpur Horse like the "ones you had". I travelled to Oregon, content on finding her a horse. What I didn't contend with is the feeling I got , minutes in the round pen, with the horse that would become Lori's Lilly. I got goose bumps and realized there were tears streaming down my face. Yes, Charlie, there is at least one more to gentle.

End of story:(or Beginning) We brought 3 horses back from Oregon, and on my 66th Birthday in Oct 2010, I was able to bring home my Sulphur Stallion Gizmo that I had sold almost 4 yeas ago to the day.

Horses don't say thank you either, but that morning nicker says it all.

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas and have a happy new year.

The Sulphur Dude