Labels

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Looked To Me To Be The Eyes Of Age




This picture surprised me. I did not know that I had wrinkles in front of my ears. I do not mind. I just did not realize it.

I do not have the same views of aging and what it means to be old as do most people my age. Those in my family who do not smoke or drink tend to live to incredible ages. We also tend to be pretty healthy up until we die. My great uncle just passed away at the age of 102. When he was one hundred he was still planting and working his garden. Grandma died at 96. Papa, my great grand father, was around 100 when he died in 1970. Grandma Bird (she was also my great aunt Bird, my family is more genetically diverse than the Corollas but several of my ancestors seemed uncomfortable with the idea of marrying outside the family)was close to one hundred when she died. Daddy is about 77 and gets along quite well.

I do not share society's obsession with being young. I have been young. I was young for a long time. Being young was not worth the effort, on the whole a very negative experience. I would not want to repeat any of it.

With the exception of what is becoming a troublesome neck problem I am much healthier than I was when I was twenty five. I ride better than I did when I was forty. I play music better than I ever have. I sleep better than I did when I was thirty.

But best of all I am starting to understand what it is in life that really matters. And it turns out that there are very few things that do matter. Chief among these is to improve the lives of those around you. Acquisition creates a tinge of shame. Giving away overcomes that tinge. One cannot help being born rich. One had no choice in the matter, but one can avoid the disgrace of dieing rich. Making kids laugh is more important than laughing yourself. The only thing better than learning is teaching.

I once thought that the root of wisdom was to know and to understand. I now realize that the root of wisdom is to know that we can't understand.

And most importantly, to not be bothered a bit by that lack of understanding.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is often said that youth is wasted on the young...nah...youth is something you take with you, it is an affair of heart and spirit more than body.

I still think that graduating Kindergarten is a sucker bet..that is when they take nap time away from you. -Lloyd

Anonymous said...

A beautiful piece, thank you. I think it was Louise May Alcott in LITTLE WOMEN who wrote "wealth not shared is a burden."

When I was very young, I would occasionally be astonished by the generosity of elders who gifted me with something precious and valuable. Just out of the blue: "Here, I'd like you to have this." Always, something I treasured and appreciated.

Now coming into those years myself, I understand. Possessions can quickly become burdens. To gift someone with something that brings them delight is a joy beyond measure.

I may ride better and I definitely know more than when I was younger, but I do miss the elasticity of a body that bounces and recovers from injury quickly. I have enjoyed the heck out of every stage of my life, but without doubt, each decade has been more pleasurable than the one before. It just keeps getting better and better.

Thank you for this wonderful piece. It is excellent.

Deb in CA