Labels

Friday, January 10, 2014

Modes of Conduction



This is my bouzouki. Though of Greek origin, it is more often associated in the American mind with Irish music. Was listening to some Irish music this morning--fiddle on fire, bodhrun beating a clear and steady path for the lyrics to follow, guitar working with the lyrics instead of fighting to drown them out--a unity of sound.

Such unity only comes to people who have a common enemy. Music is an imperfect conductor of joy, but it conducts pain perfectly. That is why the lyrics of those who are stepped on carry so much more power than the vacuous lyrics of those who step on them.

Steve Earle said that Townes Van Zandt once said that there are only two kinds of music, "The Bues and zip-a-de-do-da".

Poor people do not have to have the meaning of that line explained to them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My heart is sinking like a setting sun, setting on the things I wish I'd done,as the credits roll, a sad song starts to play, and this is where the cowboy rides away.
-George Strait

He looked down into her brown eyes, and said, say a prayer for me, She threw her arms around him, and whispered, God will keep us free, and they could hear the riders coming, he said this is my last fight, if the take me back to Texas, they won't take me back alive. -Willie and Ray

I get some of hte best songs stuck in my head. -Lloyd

-Lloyd