Labels

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Horses and Your Health



Just got back from the doctor. I am startlingly healthy according to the lab tests. You might be surprised to read that from looking at me. By any calculation I am thirty-fifty pounds over weight.

But I am in great health. I am about to become much healthier. I have begun conditioning myself and my horses for a ride of over 100 miles. I want to go back and get everything rechecked after that ride. It will be a one person test that will speak volumes about what an active lifestyle that centers on horses can do for one's health.

The major training for riding is to ride, but barefoot running and tabata play a huge part in training also. Posting hard on an exercise ball helps condition the quadriceps for long hours  in the saddle too.

Do your child a favor--make him exercise. Do your horse an even greater favor--give him the chance to exercise long and hard.

Do yourself a favor and get out there with your kids and your horse and get healthy.

1 comment:

Chris at Barefoot beginner said...

Hi Steve - I got drawn to your post because of your barefoot running. Having had a look around your blog, the fact that you are barefooter make sense to me. we have so many different lives but we have common threads that unite us all. I run the Barefoot Beginner blog and made your post our pick of the day at http://www.barefootbeginner.com/barefoot-post-of-the-day/. I hope a few follow the link and have a look around at your work. - Regards Chris