Labels

Saturday, December 28, 2013

A Place Of Love



That is how author Doris Gwaltney described our horse lot.

"This place changes lives. It changed our lives."


"When I got here I told Mom, 'You are never going to be able to get me to leave.'

"I would have never made it through school without these horses."

"This is my favorite land."

"We are buying a house to move closer to the horse lot."

"When I feel bad I always go to the horse lot to feel better."

"This summer with the horses has been the best summer of my life."

"Your riders don't act like spoiled little rich brats. They love the horses more."

"The best gift that I will ever receive is my horse."

"Thank you for what I have learned about horses and myself."

"I want to raise my children here in the horse lot."

Perhaps the results are magical but there is nothing magic about the process. Anyone who cares about horses and kids can do what we do. Learning natural horsemanship is within reach of everyone with a computer or even a bookstore nearby. What once took twenty years to learn on one's own can be learned in six months of serious study and effort.

And it can give meaning to lives. Real meaning.

Big barns, expensive horses, competitions are not requirements for the development of a great program, they are hindrances.

Large scale, small scale, side job, full time career--it is all possible with the development of a program of natural horse care, natural horsemanship and riders.

And the kids in your community need for you to do it. And the horses in your community need for you to do it.

And you need to do it for yourself.

And we will help. I will be happy to advise/consult with anyone who wants to develop a program like ours at no cost.

There is no catch to this. There is no cost to this offer. I am going to be hammering this point repeatedly in 2014.

You may get sick of reading it, but the reality is that if God has allowed you to have a horse He has given you the opportunity to heal some of the suffering in your community.

Not long ago a gentleman who is a patient at a local veteran's hospital reached out and firmly squeezed my forearm. He looked at me with the greatest of intensity and asked, "Do you understand how important what you are doing here is for us?"

Don't let self doubt or the fears of others rob you of the opportunity of  having moments like this.

Over then next year we will talk about boring things like insurance, incorporation, safety equipment, land leases etc. If I talk about it enough one of you will decide to give it a try. Your success in developing a meaningful life will lead others to follow you.

Horses get saved. People get saved. And you get to have a life that is more than just an extended period of pre-death.

(Another great photo by Tom Crockett of our holiday get together at the horse lot last night. His skill with a camera makes it all look magical.)

2 comments:

Marge Mullen said...

Steve is it possible to have a facebook share link that displays your current article?

Thank you, Marge
Stablewomen's Gazette

Vicki said...

It is WONDERFUL what horses particularly formerly wild horses can do for people. My mustangs are having a similar effect on the young lady who lives across the street from me. We were obviously put here for a purpose; and my equines are doing their jobs well. Plus, we've learned that there is more than just riding with these horses!