Labels

Friday, July 19, 2013

Quick Tip # 39 Maintain Sufficient Reserves



Yesterday, while examining my injured shoulder; the doctor took a look at my right bicep which tore in two a few years ago. It did not grow back together. As a result I knew that it is weaker than my left arm. I had never measured how much weaker.

The doctor said that such injuries result in a permanent 60% loss of strength.

The point being that a prudent horse  trainer should maintain sufficient strength in his arms such that at any time 40% of said strength greatly exceeds 100% of the strength of a city person's arm.

One must always be prepared.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Being a little skinny guy, especially having to stop or fend off a spooked horse...I try to keep Bill Dorrance in mind...at a roping clinic on his 94th birthday...and of course the sentiment that the human brings 5 pecent physical 95 percent mental to the game and the horse will return it many times over. And to think, I have friends who think I am nuts for riding wild horses...poor folks.