Labels

Friday, January 31, 2014

The Relationship--"But Does My Horse Love Me?"



Don't worry. I have myself all braced for being misunderstood, taken out of context and even having these views intentionally misrepresented.

I am very pleased with the relationship that I have with my main horses. In fact, (and here it comes) I am satisfied with that relationship.

I am satisfied because the question of whether my horse loves me is not the most pressing issue in my relationship with my horses. I cannot force a horse to love me anymore than I can force a person to love me. It is outside my realm of control.

But I can control how I treat my horse. I can control how I feel about my horse. That is why the most important question concerning the relationship is not whether my horse loves me, but whether I love my horse.

(That noise that you just heard was the sound of the hackles of teenage girls who own horses being raised.) I do not understand those who are looking for "the perfect fit" or a "horse that clicks with me". My lack of understanding is not a problem in itself. The problem is that those looking for that form of quasi-romantic relationship with their horse often spend every bit as much time wringing their hands and asking "why does he act like that" as do 13 year old girls with their first boyfriends.

There is a great deal of money to be made by telling these horse owners that if you simply buy the next series of tapes that we are selling your horse will love you. One can make big money by joining in a partnership with a lie and often the truth is a miserable business partner. People will happily pay big money for a complicated lie but they won't take a simple truth even if it is free.

No, I do not worry about whether my horse loves me. But I put a great deal of effort into loving my horse. If I love my horse enough it makes up for any love deficit that might be there on his part. And therein lies the rub for most people with relationship problems with their horse

The problem is that the human has love limitations. The reality is that if one loves their horse enough that feeling will be reciprocated.

Stop asking "why would he treat me like that?"

Instead ask yourself if you love your horse enough.

Do you love your horse enough to....

teach him to be in your control?

allow him to live like a horse evolved to?

allow him to eat like a horse evolved to?

spend your time with him instead of trying to make up for it by spending your money on him?


learn his body language and communicate with him in a way that he can understand?

refuse to equate his "value" with his purchase price or the number of ribbons he wins?

keep him in a comfortably lean state instead of allowing him to be dangerously fat?

exercise him hard regardless of how busy you are or how unpleasant the weather is?

be completely uncaring as to what other think of your horse?

be a constant student of natural horsemanship always researching and looking for better ways to communicate with your horse?

become a lay expert on horse health so you can properly monitor your horse's health?




If you love your horse enough to do those things your horse will love you.

Or you can pay some clinician big money to tell you how to fail less often than you think that you do now.

(The big bay Corolla is a gelding named Creed. He is currently available for adoption through the Corolla Wild Horse Fund. He has been ridden on our woods trails on many occasions and has a long, smooth Corolla gait. He will really be a first rate trail horse. If you would like to help preserve the Corollas one of the best ways to do it is to adopt one of these horses and show your region what a spectacular animal he is).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And understand that she is not a dog, nor a human, she will not show affection in any manner that is logical or normal to a human. She might be the hardest horse to catch, but love you to distraction, or walk to you willingly and be totally ambivalent.
There is some truth to different horses fitting better with different people, but it need not be a search for a soul mate.
Go out amd love on the horse, teach her proper boundaries of behavior, show her firm amd positive leadership, every so often,make her move out of your space, that's right, send her away from you, way away...make her keep moving, and when you relax and remove pressure, she will react with respect, there are literally hundreds of ways to accomplish that, but they all boil down to simple pressure and release...grab that fiador knot on her halter...pull down lightly, say "Down!" Clearly and firmly...when her head goes down even a quarter inch...let go and love her..little by little, with repeated pressure and release...that respect turns to affection. When she stands at the gate watching you leave...you know you are getting somewhere...when you take him out and ride the feet off him, then put him in his pasture, and he wants to come back out and stay with you...you are doing it right. But don't get wrapped around the axle when she does not trot out to greet you like an anxious dog...they just don't work that way. Just go love the horse...and pay attention to what she is telling you. And more than anything, stay calm, and enjoy the ride, after all...that is the whole point. -Lloyd

Anonymous said...

And sometimes it might take a little bit of time for the horse to love you back. But that doesn't matter. If you are trying and trying and trying to feed your horse treats and trying and trying and trying to show him that you love him by brushing him and washing him, and he still doesn't love you- try something else. Train him in a round pen, stand beside him in the pasture, ride him. Show him that you are the boss and show him that you can be trusted. Walk him through a tire, pull him into slushy ice. And sometimes, even this might not make your horse "love" you in the way that you want him to love you. Maybe your idea of love is different than the horse's. Maybe the horse would rather stand quietly beside his rider in the pasture than try to do silly "cute" tricks. Maybe your horse already loves you, but you just don't know it. Don't get discouraged if you don't think your horse loves you. Rather, try loving him more like a horse would love him than like a person would love him. In other words, get him to trust you.
(That little horse in that picture- Well, he bucked me off on our first ride. But I am still confident that he loves me- he was just being a horse.)
-AM

Anonymous said...

Lol...I have fallen off of two horses...both of them Creed. And indeed...he was just being a horse..one can expect no more or no less. Creed is a good boy, and all horse. -Lloyd