Labels

Friday, June 7, 2013

To Teach Is To Learn



Of course, I regret having gone to law school. I should have been a high school history teacher or maybe a college professor. I like learning and I love teaching.

My wife's grandfather was a great example of why learning to love learning is such an important thing. When I met him he had had some serious heart trouble and his activities were restricted a bit. However, his face would light up and his eyes would twinkle if he had just read an article in National Geographic that caught his interest. Whatever he learned was something that he loved to share with everyone around him.

When I learn something that interests me, be it musical, historical, or horse related I love to let everyone know about. Not because I want to show off how much I know, but because if it gives me pleasure to learn something I want to share that pleasure with those around me.

I love being around bright,inquisitive young people. Our most recent intern, Christina Caro, a student at Rutgers, has certainly fit that bill. She is about to wrap up her internship and head back to New Jersey. She has worked on horse training, riding, livestock care, and even hog slaughter. I expect that she will be a wonderfully well rounded veterinarian in the future.

In fact, it has been so good to have her around that she is changing our approach to internships. In the past we never advertised such things and people contacted us. Next summer I intend to seek out young people like Christina.

Samantha Patterson has worked in an unstructured internship with us. She comes out once a week and helps train horses. She is good. She has all the attributes of a great trainer. In fact, last week I asked her to focus on one of our mustangs that I want to have as one of my principle riding horses. I would love to have more young people like her that are looking to learn horses and how horse operations can work.

Kelly Crockett is bringing a great Youth Challenge program to what we do. Christina has caused me to become very serious about seeking out interns. The educational aspects of our program, which are so important to me, are falling into place.

There are a lot of good things happening at our horse lot.

(Christina took great pleasure in the musical performances at the Victorian Station Tea Room, where this picture was taken.)

No comments: