Labels

Saturday, September 25, 2010

A Distinction to Earn




A good horse is its own reward, but a good horse is the result of first rate horsemanship. I have decided to create one formal awards program for my riders to recognize those who have achieved first rate horsemanship. As I developed the criteria for this award I had to consider what I think it takes to be a complete horseman. It takes a wide range of skills and a wealth of knowledge. There will be no time, or age, limit on earning the Mill Swamp Master Horsemanship Award.

To become a Mill Swamp Master Horseman a rider must:

take a very active role in the starting of a colt or wild horse;
complete at least one 50 mile ride in one day;
give quality natural hoof trimmings to five different horses;
worm and give an injection to a horse;
give a 30 minute presentation on an aspect of mustang history, preservation, or genetics;
complete a ten mile night ride;
pass a written test on natural horse care and equine nutritional needs;
complete a fencing, construction, digging, or other project designed to increase safety, functionality, or aesthetics of a natural horse care facility;
demonstrate riding and all manner of horse control using lightness and what Dorrence called 'feel';
give a solid training session to a novice rider in my presence;
complete a reading list of several of the top works on natural horsemanship and natural horse care.

No work done prior to January 1, 2011 can be applied to the earning of this award. (e.g. "but I have already done a fifty mile ride.." will not count)

All of my riders that have ridden in our program for a few years are already horseman of distinction. This award will give the opportunity to quantify and formally recognize their skills.

(The shot above was taken during a fifty mile ride. Every horse on that ride was trained at Mill Swamp Indian Horses. Most of the training was done by kids 14 and younger when they began to start their horse.)

1 comment:

Vicki said...

If I can accomplish any of these, it will make me happy as I believe horsemanship is an ongoing process. I plan on taking each of your requirements, and making it a "mini-goal." Having actually been on Annie's back in the woods gives me the courage I need thanks to you. I don't need a final reward, my reward will be in accomplishing each of these goals.