Labels

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Core, The Kettle, and The Canter




I am fifty years old, fifty pounds overweight, and can ride a horse fifty miles in a day. Quite obviously, my weight makes me far from a perfect role model, but on the other hand it shows what is possible, even for an older rider who is no longer mistaken for Tarzan.

The first step is not emphasized enough in the equine press. Step one is to stay in the saddle. At my age if I hit the ground at 20 MPH bones will break. Broken bones result in either a recovery period that keeps one out of the saddle or, at best, a less pleasurable experience while riding and healing.

The safest riding style that I have found is also one of the simplest--heels lower than toes, toes in front of knees, sitting on one's pockets, hands in front of one's belt buckle, spine slouched into a relaxed "C" shape.

The body needs to be trained to take advantage of the security that this riding position affords. The key muscles that need to be strengthened are the core muscles of the back, abdomen, and the upper legs. Bulging biceps are of little value when it comes to riding, but a strong back is essential.

Of course, training the body takes time and every moment spent in the gym is a moment not spent in the horse lot. That is why I try to make all exercise sessions as efficient as possible.

Nothing helps a riders legs more than barefoot running. Unlike running with shoes on, barefoot running engages the quadriceps and calves with less stress to the joints. Once a week I do dead lifts with heavy weight and very few reps. (Only to be done after a solid warm up session and using perfect form to avoid back injury.) Daily use of the kettle bell (google the term if you have never seen one, strengthens every muscle that I use in the saddle and has increased both strength and flexibility.

With all of that said, nothing trains one better for riding than riding, especially cantering. It is a great way to not only improve strength but to get a solid cardio vascular work out. During the summer of 2009 I cantered five miles each morning. Not only did it get my horses in great shape, I lost 17 pounds over that summer with no change in my diet. In the last 7 weeks I have lost 7 pounds simply by returning to the five mile canter (or gaiting if on a Corolla or Shackleford)in the morning.

This routine does not give me a beach body, (though some of my riders have suggested that I look like I have been beached)but it does give me a body that can stay where I need to be--in the saddle.

As with all exercise routines, please consult your physician before trying this.

No comments: