Labels

Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Perfect Horse's Kids



Of course, I recognize that many of my views and practices directly conflict with those of the established horse world. That is why I constantly reevaluate those views and practices. I mean, could it be that they are right and kids really cannot learn to safely start wild horses and colts?

That is when I am drawn to objective criteria to answer my questions. Last night I received a surprise visit from two first rate Colorado horse trainers, one seventeen and one about thirteen years old. Abby and Pricilla are pictured above with some of their horses. They first began to work with horses a few years ago under my instruction and encouragement. On their own they have worked to put into practice the principles espoused by most of the great natural horseman of the last century, particularly Pat Parelli.

Yes, it can be done. Last night the proof was sitting at my right hand and my left hand. This morning they are going riding with us, along with their much older sister, Emily, who even at her advanced age, can still manage to turn a scared or bad horse into a solid trial horse using patience and skill.

1 comment:

virginagirl said...

"Advanced age"--you are sounding like the twins. :) You are right, though, this is a very achievable goal.