Labels

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Mind Games

Nothing builds the strength of a young horse and the confidense of a young rider as much as hours of trotting through varied terrain. The Forty Six mile ride really bore this out as every rider who had spent the summer training that way finished the ride with no difficulty.

Now we are moving more into training the minds of both the young horses and their riders with a winter of training in a training course that we have developed in a 4 acre pasture. Like everything else that I do with my horses, we are designing this course in as economical a manner as possible.

The course will include the following: an L shaped alley through which horses must be backed, logs to cross over, a tarp to ride through, a trailer to enter, a huge tractor tire to ride through, a gate to open, ride through and close with out dismounting, a sand pit for sliding stops, a wooden bridge to navigate, a car tire to drag with a rope,a string of poles to bend, and sand moguls and mud holes to traverse.

This training will require horsemanship skills that none of my riders have..yet. By summer they all will have mastered these skills.

By that time my riders will be bomb proof. They will be able to handle a variety of horses in less than ideal circumstances. I wish that just some of the time and effort that parents put into finding the mythical "bomb proof" horse would be spent in teaching skills to kids that make them more capable of safely handling horses.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will work hard on mastering this, Comet may be big and lazy... but not when I am done with him. There is nothing a horse cant do just things they dont like or just hasnt learned. No one thought comet could jump as well as he does, but when everyone saw him fly everyone was speechless. Comet and I are a team and we are a great pair, not just cause I like him and Ride him a lot, just cause its the truth. I think that teaching horses new things is a good courage builder.

Anonymous said...

Very well stated! I take it you are one of Steve Edward's "little riders" may i ask how old you are?

Anonymous said...

Yes I am 13

Anonymous said...

Over the years I have learned new things like how important it is for your horse to trust you. Unlike people horses' brains work like a puzzle, they have to put together the pieces in order to see the picture. I have seven goats and they were the easyest things to halter train, but with horses it takes a lot of time and effort, mostly patience. I have said this beacause I am working with a 2 year old filly named Bird Women, and she is still figuring out how to be lead. I rode her once or twice without have to do all the "important" stuff like despooking. This was something I was thinking about will sitting in math class not paying attention. I am looking forward to working with her from the beginning. I hope is does not rain this weekend i am hoping to teach Comet new things, as me also.