Labels

Monday, December 8, 2008

Alumni



Over the last month I have had two of my former riders, who learned to ride excellently quite a while ago, come back and ride in the woods with us, just for fun. I do not know how much fun it was for them, but it sure made my weekend complete.
Shelby and Emily each have horses of their own that they keep at their homes. Shelby has the first mustang colt that I sold, Sand Creek, (named for the location of Chivington's slaughter of Black Kettle's band of Cheyenne) Emily has a beautiful mare from Wind in His Hair and Standing Holy, named Holy Door (named for the mother of Sitting Bull). These kids came into my life just as my daughters were growing up and moving on.
Shelby is 14 now, but in the picture above she was about 7. This was the second riding lesson that I ever gave. Her mother took this picture and I chose it for the cover of my book.
Emily has adopted a young Corolla, who is Manteo's little brother. I look forward to taking him out on a long, long ride soon.

No comments: