Labels

Thursday, May 13, 2021

Rethinking How We Teach Riding

Optimism, confidence and hopefulness are not the same things, though I have often lumped them together without giving it further thought. 

Our teaching model has always been driven by teaching skills and confidence. I am learning that confidence is a component of hopefulness but that the two are not synonymous.

This is not just some word play game. I am learning about the science of hope and how it can be effectively taught. So far it seems deceptively simple.

I am currently reading Hope Rising, by Casey Gwinn and Chan Hellman. I learned of this field of study when, of all places, I was taking an intense study of the prosecution of strangulation cases. I am very hopeful that it will help us teach a more effective road to riding/living. 

 


No comments: