Labels

Thursday, April 15, 2021

Weight and Riding Capacity

Between the first of September of 2020 and April 15, 2021 I lost forty pounds. dripping from 230 to 190. I expected this to make a big difference in how well our horses could carry me.

To my surprise I don't see that much difference in how the horses carry me now compared to how they carried me forty pounds ago. When I set my horses in for a long trot of several miles I let them pick their speed. I measure that speed with my gps watch. Each of my main horses only goes at a self selected speed that is slightly above the speed that they used to carry me.

However, riding is much easier for me now. I have much more riding endurance. I suspect that when we get up around miles 25 and more I am easier for the horse to carry, not merely because I am lighter, but because a conditioned rider is much easier for the horse to balance.

No comments: