Labels

Sunday, March 17, 2019

Trail Riding Lesson Program For Adults Who Have Been Out of The Saddle For a While



We introduce people to riding but over the years we have also reintroduced many people to riding. Jackie is the best example in our program of that reintroduction.  She wants to share that with others and we will have a new instructional class for people who have once ridden but have been out of the saddle for so long that they think that riding is only something that happened in the past.
Steve Edwards




"Over 10 years ago, my daughter asked if she could start riding again. The only thing was she did not want to ride in circles meaning no more lessons in a riding ring. I came across an article in the local paper about Mill Swamp Indian Horses. What caught my eye about this place was that kids were being taught to gentle and train Spanish Colonial Horses. In all of my years of riding, I never learned to train a horse. I was sure this would be a good experience for my daughter so we went to meet Steve Edwards. The place did not look anything like the English riding stables I was use to but something about it seemed very right. There were stallions sharing a pasture and pastures with geldings and mares that Steve could move with just a look.

We signed on that day.

As the years went by, I started to want to ride again. At the time, I was way over the weight most English stables considered over the limit for their horses. I thought I was too big to get on a horse's back. I worried that if I fell off on a trail I could not get back on and I would be too heavy for someone to give me a leg up. One day Steve talked about the differences in the structure of the Spanish Colonial Horses from that of modern horses. These horses were bred to carry riders great distances. Then he said the most important thing, his weight! Being a few pounds less, I no longer could make the excuse I was too big to ride. Therefore, I started riding again.

Riding later in life was not as easy as when I was in my teens. I had little leg and core strength. I was only able to mount a horse using a mounting block. I spent the first couple of years at a walk and trot. Now I lead rides and no longer worry about if I can get back on my horse on the trail. I enjoy riding at 58 years old as much as I did as a teenager. It is a great way to relax and exercise at the same time. I have ridden over 126 miles this year so far.

I want to help others get back into riding so I will be starting up an adult "back in the saddle" ride Saturdays at 1:00 pm and Thursdays at 6:00 pm. The first ride will be April 20. Riders can ride one or both rides. Rides will be at a walk and last an hour. If you have not been in the saddle for a long time or our new to the program please arrive about 30 minutes early. This is not a lesson program for novices, so riders should have some experience. We have other riding lesson program available for those who have never ridden.

Program fees will apply. Contact Steve Edwards at msindianhorses@aol.com for pricing. Go to https://www.millswampindianhorses.com/ for more information on the programs offered at the farm. This ride is open to all adult program participants." 
                                   Jackie

1 comment:

Johnnie Kay said...

Inspiring words. I wish I lived closer so I could take advantage of this program.