Labels

Monday, November 11, 2013

My Favorite Kids



I am right picky in what I admire in kids. I love keen intellect and enthusiasm. Luckily for me, I find a lot of such kids. But there is something that impresses me more than that.

Though there are very few of them, I admire young people who show actual wisdom. It is very difficult to accumulate wisdom and solid judgement in a short lifetime. It is very difficult to find a bright kid whose wisdom exceeds their intelligence. Lydia, of course--I rely on her judgement and often go with her point of view over mine. I do not know Samantha Patterson as well as I know Lydia, but I suspect that her wisdom exceeds her intelligence. This is a big deal because both of these girls are highly intelligent.

Wisdom is a key component of becoming a first rate horse trainer. I have been looking over an e interview that will be published here soon of a young Texas trainer. Brooke Sims is younger than Lydia but I see the same kind of insight in her understanding of a horse that I see in Lydia and Samantha.

Most people can learn how to recite a cook book on horse training, but few learn to improvise and deal with the situation at hand. I see that in Brooke's approach. She works the horse as the individual horse needs it. She improvises.

This kid will one day do a lot of good for a lot of horses.

I am looking forward to getting her interview in print.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again...parallel thoughts...I mentioned this morning, (talking more about teaching riding than training horses, but still...) that it is near impossible to teach horsemanship, (or almost anything requiring analysis of nuance) but that one may guide, and light the way to the trailhead, but that horsemanship must be borne of desire, wisdom, and reasoned analytical thought...followed by appropriate action...

Same-y Same-y.... -Lloyd

Anonymous said...

Thank you Steve! Well Said! I look forward to it too!

Alicia