Labels

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Therapy Horses




I try not to be too prickly about words. But words do have meaning. I do not like for my horses to be referred to as "therapy horses."

I do not object to the term because it suggests that there are people out there that need horses for therapy. I object because the term suggests that there are people out there that do not need horses for therapy.

Horses are therapy for what ever the problem is--over weight, high blood pressure--go ride hard. Back, knee, joint pain-- ride. Husband left you for another women--ride. Hate your job--ride. Got obnoxious kids--ride. Got obnoxious parents--ride.

Is the problem such that riding is impossible?--brush, lead, handle a horse

Is the problem such that brushing, leading and handling are impossible?--sit and watch them in the pasture.

Few holes exist that horses cannot plug.

No comments: