Labels

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Quick Tip #1




I stumble into many things that I am sure are well known by many horse people but simply never reached me. I generally make little mention of them because I have tended to assume that everyone else knew it but me. I am changing that policy and when a light bulb illuminates my mind I will let the little light shine in hopes that it might do someone else some good.

There are many ways to get a horse comfortable with taking a bit for the first time. Some complex, some simple. I feel into this one this week.

Completely desensitize the horse's face and lips by gently every inch of face (but the eyes) with a short crop. Rub the horse's teeth and gums with the crop and when he opens his mouth run the crop over his tongue for a few strokes.

Repeat 642 times.

No comments: