Labels

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Shifting Gears




Free at last! I have now exceeded the riding hours that I set as a goal for Sunka, Holland and Tradewind. It has been difficult, especially with the outrageous heat indexes that we have experienced this summer. I have had to be focused and prudent. I could not risk a serious injury that could keep me out of the saddle for a week or two.

But now that is all behind me! It is no longer vitally important for me to refrain from getting hurt. I can go back to training the horses that need it, some of them from the ground up without having to worry about the effects of a hospital stay.

Wanchese-Have you been running off with riders and ignoring the bit? Guess what? Daddy's home. Kiowa--Are you difficult because you are a "left brain introvert'? Don't worry. I am a "whole grain, all season radial" and I am sure that we can work together to put your brain back on which ever side it is supposed to be on. Valor--Are you still scared of being hurt? Don't worry we can learn not to be scared together.

This will mean putting some other goals aside for a while. I will have to move my next effort to ride 100 miles in one day to the spring instead of this fall.

But it will be worth it. Nothing is more gratifying than sweetening terrified or mean horses.

I do hope that they will not cause me to have to stay over night in the hospital. Whatever charm that I have totally eludes nurses. It seems that I bring out the very worst in them.

3 comments:

virginagirl said...

Looks like your whistling in the picture. I like the part about Wanchese.

Emily said...

I'm so excited! Can't wait to start training!

SDaniels said...

Steve,

As a nurse I have to say that I find you wonderful. Hope my charlotte is being good. How about an update?