Labels

Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Best Thing To Do For Your Horse




I have always had an interest in strength training as a tool to improve athletic performance. As I have gotten older I am interested in using strength training to prevent injuries and to speed healing.

Movement on an incline seems to accomplish both goals for horses. Search Parelli's program for an equine exercise routine that he calls "Hill Therapy." I am not going to go into any of the details of this incredibly simple technique because it is set out great in Parelli's article.

I modified the program by setting up a small round pen on the side of a sight slope in one of my pastures. By doing so I can exercise several horses at once. I have the horses moving in the round pen with out a longe line simply for effficiency.

If I went into the changes that I have seen in my horses from using this exercise technique I would sound like a cheap late night infomercial. This thing is real. It works and it works like magic. Parelli specifically discusses using this as 'therapy' for a horse that has a problem. Without a doubt it is great for that.

However, I believe that it is an even better technique when used to make a strong, balanced horse stronger and more balanced. For those of you that live in climates where it is impossible to get in much riding time during the winter, this is a great way to improve your horse's fitness level that can be done in any weather.

I sort of understand why this technique makes a horse stronger, but I am utterly at loss to explain why it improves cardiovascular fitness so well. All of the horses that I have worked in my little sloping round pen have achieved a tremendous boost in their fitness level, even those that were being ridden very steadily for months at a time before ever going into the little pen for their ten minute work out.

I have made one other adjustment from what I understand Parelli's program to be. I begin and end each session by backing the horse up to fifty years at a stretch for several sets.

The picture above has nothing to do with the topic at hand but if your granddaughter was this good looking you would put up her picture too.

6 comments:

Priscilla said...

I agree with you only I didn't modify it at all! It was 'magic' in it's own way. I think there was also something mentally beautiful about it too. When I did it with Cricket and Brego, they found it relaxing to be out on a circle finding their balance and stride on their own and not being forced to do anything. It was so relaxing for me to watch as well because my horse was searching himself out and finding that he had abilities he'd never knew about. Brego has gotten MUCH stronger throughout his back and his emotions are so much less extreme. He loves staying on a circle and experimenting with his stride.... It's truly one of the best things you can do with and for your horse!!

Savvy out!

Priscilla

Priscilla said...

Oh... And the reason why hill therapy works is because it is natural for them. It makes horses look so much more better than any tie down or surgical anyone ever invented. Horses were meant to do this and they had all this stuff in the wild, the real issue is us. We take away things like hill therapy, things that are natural.

virginagirl said...

Did you mean "back them for fifty yards"?

Just wondering.

Steve Edwards said...

Because of my schedule I prefer t back them for 50 yards instead of fifty years. On the other hand I have been going backwards now for over 50 years

Anonymous said...

Lydia and Steve--you make me laugh!!! :)

Prettyfields said...

I did something similiar to this to the mustangs I sold you years ago. Using your hands, body and heart is the best way to gentle, train and bond with a horse.