Labels

Monday, April 11, 2011

The Most Dangerous Decision




Do not miss the main point concerning our program, our horses, and my riders.

This is Red Feather at a clinic that we did at a small local event. Red Feather is the most athletic horse with whom I have ever shared a round pen. He was also once the most dangerous. I mean it very literally when I say that he has kicked and bitten me more than every other horse in my life combined.

He is now puppy dog sweet. He still has problems with fear but there simply is no rage in him. He has more to learn, but we all do. He needs attention, affection and leadership, but we all do. He needed someone that could be patient, see his potential, and work through his problems, just as we all do.

There is no magic in my methods, either with kids or horses, but there is magic in the results. Red Feather is no longer mad at the human world. He and I have many more miles to ride together.

The most dangerous decision one faces is not whether or not to begin. It is whether or not to quit. Red Feather and I did not, and we have not, given up on each other. We have improved the quality of each other's lives. We decided not to quit.

What we do is not brain surgery. Everyone that cares about, and is willing to work to understand kids and horses can do what we do.

That is easy for me to say. I have seen what can be done simply by doing. After all, before I had any little riders I had a 10 year old brother with cerebral palsy that was the first person to get on each wild horse and colt that we started.

When he saw others recoil at the mere thought of mounting a wild horse he would ask, not with arrogance, but with genuine curiosity, "If I can do it then why can't you?"

I feel the same way about our riding program.

1 comment:

Priscilla said...

I tell anyone who comes my way, "If I can do it, you can do more.."