Labels

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Health Alert: Help Curb Equine TTFM




TTFM (Too Tall For me) is a genetically related disorder that often results from breeding mares over 13.3 hands to stallions of equal size or larger. Horses suffering from TTFM have a higher ground to saddle distance than do those those of proper height.

Sadly, the condition is irreversible and worsens with age. In fact, the older I get the more difficult it is to mount a horse with TTFM. Even worse, for a mature rider a fall from a TTFM horse often results in bad bruises, broken bones, and the use of non-Presbyterian language.


There currently is no cure for TTFM. The only hope lies in prevention and education. Research to find a cure is vital. Until that cure is found we are lucky to be able to rely on Shacklefords and Corollas. Though the gene may exist in these horses it is quite rare.

4 comments:

wendy said...

Steve,

Sometime ago I asked you to arm me with "talking points" for the Corolla skeptics. You advised me to not waste my time with those people - as doubters rarely change their beliefs.

Since then, I have tried to prove you wrong on several occasions by calmly offering the facts up to the so called “listener”…… without any success.

I thought perhaps upon the next opportunity, I would speak with more authority while conveying the facts- forget the gentle spoon feeding of info.

Well, a few days ago at a restaurant, I got the chance to talk to some guys about Corolla preservation. With my new “tone”, my passion for Corollas and a major estrogen surge, I ranted like a nut case about one less vertebrae, larger hearts, respiratory systems constructed for endurance, healthy hooves, rafter hips, wings of atlas, oval cannon bones for soundness, and ability to be tamed with relative ease.

Then one scoffed at the 50 milers I described. I was seething and said "Look buddy, you obviously do not appreciate your heritage; and as far as their value, if they were good enough for the brave Conquistadors, Native Americans and some of the colonists who founded this country they ought to be good enough for you! He looked at me with concern for my mental health.

Unsuccessful once again, I decided next time I would just slap the skeptic and proceeded to ask the waiter to “biggie size” everything!

Thankfully, you have offered me an alternative …..I will simply tell them to Google TTFM disorder and walk away.

Anonymous said...

Wendy,
I am so proud of you--don't stop fighting. :) I wish I could have been a fly on the wall...
-Emily

DianneW said...

It always amuses me to see in a sales ad that a horse is "good sized". I then wonder what the seller considers to be a good size.

Vickie Ives said...

Love the day a friend came tio visit and he had lots of nice things to say until he began on the Corollas with: "I don't know what you want with those little ones. They aren't big enough for an adult." From a Mustanger!!!

So when he wanted to go trail riding the neXt day, I put him on CWH Up 'N Adam. He looked at me shocked and said, "I'm 6"4"."


I replied, "Adam doesn't care." Off we went. At the end of the ride he was up front leading the pack with me. The only reason he wasn't in front of me is because I wouldn't let him pass I could keep the rest of the ride slow enough for the novices we had along.

When he dismounted with a crooked smile and gave Adam a pat, he said, "I'll never say a CS Horse is too small again."