Labels

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Balancing the Books




It seems that the more our program gets known the less hate mail I receive about what we do. That makes sense. It is hard for critics to claim now, as they once did, that children can never learn to safely train wild horses, that there was no way that little Spanish mustangs could carry grown men or that allowing our horses to live as naturally as possible would result in unhealthy horses.

Our safety record, distance rides on Corollas and Shacklefords, and the spectacular health of our horses have made it impossible to make that case. That's right, the proof is in the pasture. Now it seems that the criticism comes only in vague, condescending tones about "doing things the proper way."

I received a few such comments recently and for the sake of the spread sheet we will put those in the debit column.

In the credit column I will place other comments that came in this week, like "made me believe that I could do anything," "really made for a special holiday to bring the family out to see the horses", "showed me how to live", and "lit my daughter's face up". Each of those paraphrases came from different people.

That makes up our emotional debit and credit postings for this week.

That seems to keep us in the black for one more week.

And to those of you who are concerned that I do not follow the rules of the established horse world, I have to point out that I adhere rigidly to every rule that I make.

No comments: