Labels

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Sit Up and Pay Attention Please, I Need a Hand With This




So often people that cannot participate directly in the off site breeding program ask what they can do to help otherwise. Of course one can, and should donate the the Corolla wild Horse Fund.

I have another very important thing that I need some help with now. History buffs, computer whizzes, patriotic North Carolinians come on and hop on this.

Betsy Dowdy rode her Corolla mare 52 miles overnight to warn the Carolina Militia that Lord Dunmore was poised to invade North Carolina during the Revolution. Because of the guts of this teenage girl, Dunmore was routed and Carolina spared British pillage.

I need to know her exact route or at least I need a colonial map from that time period for Northeastern North Carolina. I will be delighted if anyone can find this.

THE EXACT ROUTE IS WHAT I NEED.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WEll, I'm not too sure of the geography, and I am certain the banks and marshes have changed around knotts island and Currituck in two and a quarter centuries, but this link gives a pretty decent description of the initial part of the route. The legend also suggests a couple of very worthy names for some dark Banker fillies yet to be born. http://www.fmoran.com/dowdy.html

-Lloyd