Labels

Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Why?


Why is it worth it to put so much time, effort and money into our program at Mill Swamp Indian Horses? It is because of days like today. I showed up in the dark this morning to find other riders already here for the rides that we do before I go into the office during the week. We had fourteen riders today. As the sun came up we set out on Corollas, Shackleford, Choctaws, a Spanish mustang, Horses of the Americas, Grand Canyon lined horses, a Marsh Tacky, a Marsh Tacky/Rocky Mountain cross, half Chincoteagues, and even a Tennessee Walking horse. 

As the sun rose we headed into the woods with four riders in for their first morning ride, three mothers riding with their children, me and Terry and three very experienced teen riders. 

 I love the ride. I love being able to provide this experience for families in our program. I loved seeing the horses working so flawlessly together. But the best thing is what I got to see this morning--I got a chance to see kids grow--and grow very fast. I watched confidence being earned and being applied. I watched parents and experienced teens teaching and encouraging those with less experience. I watched effective intergenerational communication.

 I watched kids not merely learning, but loving the experience of learning. I have been doing this long enough to know that this morning I had the privilege of watching life changing events. There are very few old men out there who had that privilege this morning. 

 That's why.

No comments: