Labels

Saturday, June 12, 2021

Marcus Aurelius, Natural Horsemanship. and Making Sense of The World Around Us

For over fifty years I pursued knowledge and information with a pure, raw zeal. For the remainder of my life I hope to pursue wisdom and understanding with that same zeal. I wish that I had started that journey sooner, but I am not sure that it would have been possible to do so. 

At age forty my memory was sharp and my mind was quick. I could routinely watch an episode of Jeopardy and get every question correct. Now I do not have a chance at any question that involves popular culture. (And even the questions that I do know I find that I can't answer as fast as the contestants).

I do not know as much as I once did, but I understand so much more than I would have ever thought possible. I have recently begun to absorb the teaching of the Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius. This great Stoic philosopher has more to say to me about life in the 21st century than any modern thinker that I can find. 

But when I was forty I would not have thought it so. I would have grown bored with his insights and would have quickly set his works aside. It is important to understand that the change is not merely something that comes with age. Were that true the world have fewer old fools.

No, two decades of practicing  natural horsemanship is the key to this transformation.  Intense practice of natural horsemanship has both a direct and an indirect impact on one's  ability to learn and practice wisdom. It gives one an accurate perception of one's skills and talents and replaces the loud noise of society's definitions of oneself. It clears the mind to leave more room to notice everything that is going on around us. It increases patience. It teaches us to reject conformity and adherence to a set of rules and definitions that are imposed by the rest of the world and to find truth on our own.

The dedicated practice of natural horsemanship can be likened to to a prebiotic. It creates a mental, emotional, and spiritual environment that  allows the probiotic of wisdom to flourish. 

As we have taught for nearly two decades, we practice natural horsemanship not because it makes better horses, but because it makes better people. 


No comments: