Labels

Tuesday, May 19, 2020

If I Was a Twelve Year Old Girl I Would Be In Crisis Right Now



Little riders often become very bonded with their favorite horses. They worry about hurting that horse's feelings if they start to enjoy riding another horse. I have seen tremendous expressions of guilt over leaving an old favorite behind to saddle up a new horse.  They worry that their first horse will feel left out from being left behind.

Of course my first love is the Colonial Spanish horse--especially those of the Southeast, Choctaws, Corollas, Shacklefords, and Marsh Tackys.  When my weight was down about thirty pounds I had great fun riding Nick, a large standard donkey born of a blm jenny and a wild father. My daughters rode him a lot as teens.

I have always been intrigued by Mammoth donkeys but they are so rare that I never expected to have any in our program. Thanks to  Thomas family, specifically Jenner Thomas' love of donkeys, we have four of these large, beautiful, athletic equines at the horse lot.

I am certainly drawn to them. They are the most underestimated members of the equine family. I like that. Whether on the ball field or the courtroom I always hoped to be underestimated. There are few advantages in life that one can have that is more helpful than to be underestimated. Luckily for me, it seems that I have always been surrounded by suburbanites who were more than happy to underestimate me.

They have a minimal panic response. That is not exactly true. They are very skilled at hiding panic while looking completely in control of the situation. This is also a trait that I work very hard to emulate.

But most of all, they are real, lacking in flash and chrome, but housing a powerful engine and mud grip tires with deep tread. Oh, I do, admire that.

I don't feel guilty for loving the donkeys. I don't feel like I am letting the horses down.

I just have to figure out how to find the time to ride both donkeys and horses hours on end.

 Guess I will have to learn how to eat faster and sleep less--maybe even spend less time cleaning my vehicles.


No comments: