Labels

Monday, April 8, 2013

Our Newest Addition



This Spanish Mustang mare will turn five in a few weeks. She has had some training and is easy to handle.She arrived here Friday morning. We saddled her and did a bit of round pen work and I suspect that sh wil see the woods before long.

Her grandfather is the famous mustang from the Cayuse Ranch, Sundowner. Look up the photo of him entitled "Fierce Grace". He was beautiful.

Eventually I will breed her to Corolla and Shackleford stallions to produce what Tom Norush calls "East West Crosses." These foals will be pure Spanish colonial horses from two different strains, both of which trace all of their roots back to the Spanish invasion of America. They will be registered with both the American Indian horse Registry and the Horse of The Americas Registry.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is a sweetheart too...I think she was a little jumpy still, when I messed with her on Saturday, but i bet she calms down quickly...She is ALOT of horse..-Lloyd

Anonymous said...

She arrived at MSIH just before my family did...She is a different horse today, And I am a different person. We have become more than the sum of the two parts.

I mentioned to a friend the other day that in the next two or three years she would be a really solid trail horse..She wanted to know what I had been smoking. I then told her that she was already a really solid trail horse (A higher compliment I cannot think of for a horse.) But that by the time she is six or seven years old, she will be a solid, mature, and wise trail horse. I am incredibly proud of this big four legged rocket, and incredibly thankful for her presence in my life. There is nothing like a horse that stands apart from their herd at the gate and calls you to come love on her. -Lloyd