Labels

Monday, March 11, 2013

A 2010 Post revisted: Last One Out Close the Door and Turn Out the Light...

This post shows that sometimes a blog can be real two way communication. At the time I wrote this post I meant it 100% and had strongly held the belief for years. However, I know Dianne to be a very keen mind and her comment caused me to go look for someone out there that may have been writing lyrics with meaning . The search lead me to Gram Parsons, Steve Earle, Townes Va Zandt, Blaze Foley, and Levon Helm. It also lead me to do something that I never though that I would do--write lyrics and keep them.

For years I had written lyrics, gotten them the way I wanted them and then promptly threw them away. I genuinely felt that if a song was worth writing A.P. Carter would have written it and composing lyrics gave me an uncomfortable feeling of hubris. Now I do not mind putting down a word or two.

Hit this link for my earlier thoughts on the matter.  Mill Swamp Indian Horse Views: Last One Out Close the Door and Turn Out the Light...: A.P. Carter died before I was a year old. I was 19 when Maybelle Carter died and it was the first time that I just skipped class at Will...

No comments: