Labels

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Employment Benefits




A parent who is trained and quite knowledgeable on health issues suggested that I keep a few aspirin on hand in case of a cardiac event. I appreciated the sentiment and I plan to do so. I understand why the suggestion was made. Anyone looking at my body, which is at least fifty pounds over weight, might be lead to the conclusion that I am not long for this world.

In fact, if I had not gotten back into working horses more than a decade ago I suspect that that would be the case. My annual blood tests came back this week. Triglycerides, cholesterol, everything else--all at levels that would be great for a high school athlete. Cantering and trotting are great aerobic exercises, not just for the horse, but for the rider as well. Simply feeding up and checking on the horses allows me to walk several extra miles each week.

At times it gives me the opportunity to test myself and end up on my own personal honor roll. The only thing that Karl Marx was right about was that in order for humans to be happy they must create. Without some form of creative outlet life does, indeed, become a bland exercise in waking each morning and then sleeping for another night.

A few days ago I created. My creation is not beautiful. In fact, it is ugly, but I am singularly proud of it.

I dug a well with a shovel and post hole diggers that contains about seven feet of water. I am 51 years old and I dug a well in a little more than half of a day.

I graduated from William and Mary and followed up with law school and have been practicing since 1986. I got more pleasure out of creating that well than I have from any legal work that I have ever done. The irony does not escape me.

Working the horses allows me to experience a few other things that are of tremendous benefit to my health. Most important among these is that I get to make kids smile. I am not really sure if that will make one live longer but it does make living longer worth it.

No comments: