Labels

Thursday, August 6, 2009

100 Miles Worth of Committment

This fall I will join several of my most committed riders on a two day 100 mile ride on the horses that we have trained. Most of our horses were in better than average aerobic shape simply because of the number of miles we put on them during regular riding. Beginning last spring several of us began putting many more miles on several of the horses in order to condition them for two 50 mile days, back to back. Last fall we did 46 miles in one day and I am certain that we can handle a 2 day 100 mile ride. We will be proceeding at a pretty leisurely pace. This will not be a race.
The five mile canters nearly each morning have my riding muscles in better shape than they have been in since I was a kid. Recently I began the second part of that commitment. I have changed my diet significantly and have reinstituted a fairly intense exercise regimen. Three days a week I walk while pumping weights. I do this in laps and alternate between using 10 lbs dumbbells, then 15, and then thirty in each hand. After doing this for 1/2 hour I go inside and lift weights and then ride at a canter for 5 miles.
On the off days I do a Tabata Protocol on the tread mill. Then it is out to the horse lot for a five mile ride. I do abdominal work on a Swiss ball every day.
Granted, this would not be that much of a workout were I a 25 year old line backer. But I am not. I do not want an injury to hamper my ability to complete the 100 so I am not going to train any harder.
Most of my horses are ready now. By show time I will be ready too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Health and Happiness to you and your horses. Your committment shows!