Labels

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Time Out



One reader expressed concern that we rushed the training of our young or wild horses. I understand why she had that misperception. In describing my experience with the Corollas I have stressed how quickly they learn and how easy they are to train. The examples that I gave were not intended to be a plug for how quickly we can train, but instead was a tribute to the horses.

In fact, I believe the exact opposite. We spend more time getting horses ready to take a rider than did the more traditional bronc breakers. The two most dangerous tools for a trainer to use are a watch and a calendar. Training should never be rushed or performed under strict time deadlines. The result may very well be an injured horse or trainer.

(Now can't you look at this picture of on of Croatoan's early rides and tell that I do not have the energy to rush anything.)

No comments: