Labels

Tuesday, August 18, 2020

How Long Has This Been Going On?




"She looked up at what she thought was the dirtiest grown up she had ever seen. From the brow of his Australian hat to the tip of his boots the only part of him that was not covered in dust was covered in mud composed of dust and sweat.

"What's wrong little girl? Don't I look like a lawyer to you?," he growled out in his most Wildfred Grimley like voice.

"No sir, she said, "You look like someone who makes horses be nice for little girls." ( Intro to "And a Little Child Shall Lead Them")

You know what is better than putting a kid on a horse for the first time? It's putting a kid on a horse that was once wild for the first time.

You know what is better than that? Putting a kid on a horse that was once wild, for the first time, that that kid helped train.

You know what is best of all? Putting a kid on a horse, that was once wild, for the first time, that that kid helped train, and now owns.

Here is the first kid that I put on a horse that she trained that was once wild that she owned.
And it has been quite a while.

It was years before this picture was taken and this picture was taken over ten years ago. And now Emily is grown with wonderful kids of her own.

I do not profess to know what the future holds for the rest of the world, but I am certain that Emily's future will include putting many kids on horses for their first time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome!

Emily (Marble) Barber said...

Steve, your influence is far-reaching and affecting my life still even though I've been away for a few years! I have to say I'm a foster mom in large part because of you and your example, and that's just one of the ways I'm different because of my time at Mill Swamp. Much love from Colorado. XO -Emily