Labels

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Forever Young



People my age spend a fortune trying to look younger. They would be a lot better off if they spent a fraction of that money trying to feel younger.

Beth surprised me yesterday. She has been a sporadic rider in recent years. Lately she has become serious about getting back in the saddle. She cantered and gaited out on her mare further than she has done in a decade.

Her horse is a mystery to me. She is scared of just about everyone but Beth. I do not let inexperienced riders get on her. Most people cannot catch her.

Yet when Beth mounts up she behaves nearly flawlessly. Beth began running over the past two years and has lost a great deal of weight. Without a doubt she is healthier than she was when she was twenty years ago. She exercises hard and is going to incorporate hard riding into her exercise regimen.

We have been married over thirty years. I do not know of any couple closer than we are. There are several reasons to feel good about how things are going to be in the horse lot in 2014, but knowing that Beth is going to be joining me on long, long rides is the best reason.

The gun season ends in about two weeks. We will be able to ride hard in all of the woods after everyone puts up their shotguns until next year. As things dry up we will start night riding again. With each day for the next six months the hours of sunlight will get a little longer.

Sunshine...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

86 days to spring! Polar Bear intrigues me...for the longest time, I could not lay a finger on her...just talked to her as I walked by...now she walks to me and accepts scratching amd loving in her own fashion. She is a sweet girl. She adores Gwynne and Mary. There is a study in equine psychology to be made there.
I am soo happy Beth is riding with us again. I shall make it a point in the next week or two to have her a bridle made up and fitted for polar bear, and a comfy set of reins attached so she need n9t fuss at it. I think there is enough of a couple of California rigs to get the job done... -Lloyd