Labels

Sunday, October 13, 2013

When Little Girls Grow Up



Katie was the first of a string of super responsible, super mature little girls that have ridden with me who took it to be their personal responsibility to make sure that I did not hurt myself, forget anything or take any unnecessary risks. As a kid she became deeply attached to a young paint that I owned named Wounded Knee. She preferred to ride him although he was a very green young stallion. She did great with him.

She did so good with him that before she went to college she purchased him and owns him today. When still a young teen she looked out over my crooked fences and mud encrusted pasture at a handful of BLM mustangs and said "One day this place is going to be famous."

She was the first person to say that. Outwardly I just laughed. But on the inside I could not help but to think that if things kept on track she was going to be right.

Over the years she has never been surprised to learn that film crews were out to the horse lot or that we were rolling up some awards. She had expected things like that since she was a kid.

This fall she entered Veterinary school in Blacksburg. It was always her dream. It is the dream of a lot of little girls but I had no doubt that she would achieve it. Nor do I have any doubt that she will be a first rate vet.

I would like to say that I am proud of her, but such a statement carries the hint that I am somehow responsible for her success. I am not. She has earned it all herself.

I can say that I am impressed.

Not surprised--just very impressed.

No comments: