Labels

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Quick Tip #39--Assist your Vet



Should you know more about horses than your vet? Of course not. Should you know more about your horse than your vet?

Absolutely. If you do not you are letting your horse down. Solid equine health information is at your fingertips through the internet. Unfortunately, a lot of ignorance is out there too. The worse information comes from the acquaintance who has had horses for years and once even showed them in big shows. Such people generally can give state of the art advice for 1992. Often their advice is even worse.

Learn everything possible about natural horse care. Once you fully understand why such care is so vital to your horses health expand your knowledge to include current studies on equine health issues. It takes a lot of time an effort to do so but it might keep your horse alive.

I spend several hours a week staying current on equine health issues. I do not do so because I enjoy it. I do not enjoy it. I read and study because I owe it to the horses.

There is one point that I have never seen stressed in health articles that everyone should keep in mind. In evaluating symptoms of potential problems remember that the first thing that should catch your eye is if your horse is doing anything different than his normal routine. If so, go check him out. Horses are creatures of extreme routine. Different often equals dysfunction.

If Persa is standing alone that is no cause for concern. If Ta Sunka is standing alone I drop what I am doing and go check on him. I have an actual problem probably less than one time out of two hundred such checks, but it is worth it.

No comments: