Labels

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Quick Tip #41--Look In Your Own Head First



On occasion I hear people lay out elaborate explanations for what a horse's "problem" is and why the horse feels that way. Sometimes it is shockingly obvious that the person is not describing the horse, but is really describing themself, without realizing it at all. They project the pain that they are feeling onto the horse.

While such projection often causes people to make training errors to "fix" the problem, the greater problem is that the speakers miss an opportunity for insight into their own lives.

A horse is a spectacular mirror. When one looks at a horse one often sees nothing but beauty. Other times one sees nothing but terror, anger, and all encompassing fear.

When that happens the person should first check to see if what they are seeing is a horse..or a reflection of themselves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this picture of Red Feather..He and I have much in common. We are both jumpy and nervous..anxious about things which are not we should not be.
I imagine we will help each other quite a bit. I put an arm over his shoulders and scratch his mother spot, that triangle on his neck, and he relaxes, sometimes napping as I stand there..not tense, not violent, not fighting. The effect is similar in me. He and I are not special folks, it will work for you too. That fellow with the little round glasses and a gentle heart told us to give peace a chance..well...give the horse a chance. There is much healing in a horse, and he has all the time in the world for you.-Lloyd