Labels

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Because It's What We Do




Yesterday two Corolla geldings were delivered to us to complete their saddle training. The Corolla Wild Horse Fund will find it easier to find solid adoptive placements for them after they are completely gentled and know how to ride miles through the woods and swamp.

The smaller horse, was captured because of a lameness in his hoof. The diagnosis was not good. His coffin bone was fractured. Instead of casting him aside, the CWHF provided him with treatment and time to allow the injury to heal in a non stressful environment. I do not believe that he has taken a lame step in the last six months. Ironically, he is the most stylish mover of any Corolla that I have seen. I want to work with him until he makes a great horse for some lucky family.

Creed is larger. His advanced training has already began. Today he had some round pen work and was introduced to the monsters. So far visitors seem to like him best simply because he is bigger.

I can't fault them for that. I prefer the dark horse, mainly because he is smaller.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is funny why we choose the horses we do..my two favorite horses to ride...complete par opposites...big, rangy, fast, spooky and edgy....and laid back, small, calm, and smooth...go figure. These two boys are something else..Creed is going to slim down some and will likely resemble Joseph, probably move like Baton Rouge...we shall see. He is a big sweetheart, I have yet to detect any vice in him. The proof is under the saddle. Rico will not even talk to me. Yet. They always give in. Rico is a gorgeous horse..I found myself wishing yesterday, that he was not gelded. A colt from him out of Valor would be interesting.
Which do I prefer? Hmm...I honestly cannot choose, simply because I do not know them all that well.
I did not like Snow at first either..she was irritating..which challenged me...we see where that has brought me..that big girl and I are joined at the hip now...almost a centaur. Yes, our horse choices involve some strange motivations.
These two boys will be just fine, they have come to the right place...many trainers do not understand mustangs. We do that well, once you understand that a mustang can do almost anything, show it to them, and get out of the way. They will each make someone a fine saddle horse. -Lloyd

Anonymous said...

I, personally, prefer Rico. Simply because he's mine- figuratively speaking. I love training him, and he does have such an awesome trot (Or is it a gait? I don't really know the difference.). I definitely believe he's one of the prettiest horses I've seen. I am looking forward to doing some serious miles in the woods with him, if possible. -AM