Labels

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

I Have Better Horses Than I had Two Months Ago



And the reason is obvious. Lloyd is out nearly daily. He actually works with several horses but he pauses to rub nearly everyone of them. He knows how to calm a horse. He exudes an air of calmness. Training must be 51% control and 49% affection. Lloyd provides both.

Here is the key point. Much of what Lloyd has gleaned about horses has come from the last few months of constantly being out at the horse lot and reading and absorbing everything that he could about natural horsemanship. He was not a novice, yet his achievements speak to what is possible for those who actually are novices.


To those who are novices, find a mentor-- find a solid library of natural horsemanship books---find the time to spend every moment possible with the horses--Find the ability to observe and absorb.

And when you do, you will discover that you have found a part of yourself that you never realized was there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww Shux. These fine 'quines have done more for me than I will ever do for them.

I am continually amazed at the depth of being that a horse posesses...just how much and how often they can communicate...and sometimes it crushes me, just how badly we as a race of beings have treated them and continue to do so..maybe we can help in some small way.

I also firmly believe that I and my little family would never have had opportunity to learn and grow with horses to the fantastic extent that we have over the last few months, had it not been for Mill Swamp Indian Horses...I made a brief foray into the mainstream Horse People (tm)(All Rights Reserved) (That will be $29.95...each) world, a world that had I not had ten acres of pasture and a whole lot more money than I posess, would never have had the opportunity to actually work and learn with them the only way I know how..by going out and falling off of them and loving on them and squabbling with them..and trying to figure out how to get the big fuzzy contraption to do the next thing...except for someone trusting me with something so valuable as a horse..let alone an amazingly rare and precious horse as a pure strain Spanish Colonial..Thank you, Steve.

For those who watch the horses, observe the mares in the east lot this week and watch for changes..the pecking order has been upset, and some squabling and fussing will probably happen. Expect Tha Sunka Witko to be a little grouchy for a couple days.
-Lloyd