Labels

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Self Defense?



From its inception our program has incurred the wrath of some who consider themselves spokesman for the established horse world. We promote natural horse care, natural horsemanship and natural hoof care. We teach little children to tame and ride wild horses. We promote affordable horsemanship that absolutely rejects the values of the established horse world and the big equibusiness money that it generates. We promote the preservation of rare historic horses.

Every single aspect of what we do is a threat to those who view horses as vehicles to make money. So it is no surprise that our program generates hate mail.

I do not respond to these attacks for several reasons.

1. To do so is utterly undignified. I do not engage in debates with such people.
2. To do so is a tacit acceptance of the legitimacy of the established horse world.
3. To do so would be nothing but an effort to gain the respect of the established horse world. I have absolutely no interest in seeking any common ground with that world.
4. To do so would be to fail to recognize the value that such attacks have for the promotion of our goals. It seems that the permanent numbers of readership of our blog increases with each attack.


But the most important reasons to refuse to engage or even recognize such attacks are sitting before me as I type this morning--the clock and the calendar. The clock reminds me that there are only 24 hours in each day and I do not have time to waste on petty squabbling. I have animals to care for, kids to teach and lives to work to improve.

The calendar reminds me that as each day passes the Corollas could be moving closer to extinction. It would be wrong for me to take even a moment out of one of those days to defend our program.

There are not enough days left for such a luxury.


"They tell me to be discreet for all intended purposes.
They tell me revenge is sweet. From where they stand I'm sure it is
But I have no use for their game. Where beauty goes unrecognized.
And all I feel is heat and flame. And all I see are Dark Eyes."

 --Bob Dylan,"All I See Are Dark Eyes"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In order for something to stay alive, it must be fed. If you don't feed it, it will either die or go look for something else to eat.