Labels

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Quick Tip #19: Cantering to Build Human Muscle




There is a great deal about human exercise physiology that I do not understand. New discoveries seem to come out every month. With that in mind I cannot explain why this works but I can only say that for me it does.


I find no exercise that firms the muscles of my chest, back and arms more than cantering on a loose rein. With each movement of the horse these muscles contract, albeit a small amount. This contraction and relaxation continued for forty five minutes to an hour five days a week builds more upper body muscle for me than lifting weight did when I was younger.

It is also great for the calves and quadriceps.

Of course, genetics plays a very important part in this puzzle. My granddaughter, shown above gets her exercise the same way President Coolidge said he got his:

"By having my picture taken."

No comments: