Labels

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Qucik Tip #24 Look Out For Broom Straw

The weed that we call 'broomstraw" grows in acidic soils. When one sees it in a pasture it means that it is way past time to lime the soil.

My horses have never consumed the amount of 2/1 mineral that they are eating now. In the past male horses consumed very little and mares a bit more. Now even the stallions are eating the mineral down.

Over the winter my hay has had a significant amount of broom straw in it. That is not a problem by itself but the broom straw was evidence of a lack of calcium in the hay. I am increasing every ones access to 2/1 mineral now.

It helps them all to have stronger immune systems and helps the little ones to grow, just like Wanchese, my favorite Shackleford stallion, and Aiden, my favorite grandson.

No comments: